Thursday 8 May 2008

Disablist Rubbish

Last night I had the misfortune to watch "In-Betweeners" on E4. If you haven't seen it, don't bother. The first episode was pretty bad for disablist language; retard, etc but the second took the biscuit. Mong, retard, spaz, spastic (not in the medical sense) were just a few I heard, and I'm sure many more. I didn't stay to find out, I switched off in disgust. There was, I believe, a lass with CP in it (either that, or she was a female version of Danel Day-Lewis; the startle reflex when she was hit with a frisbee (accidentally) looked genuine enough.). Now, I don't have CP, so I don't know what the reaction of an average person who has it would be to being hit on the head in the manner I've just described. I'm pretty sure that a string of expletives would be the (understandable) response, and not uncontrollable tears - but then she was meant to be foreign, and there's always been a stereotype of highly-strung foreigners, hasn't there? I've had enough of this rubbish and I've made a complaint to Channel 4 here in the UK. No doubt whoever's in charge will try to say "it reflects real life and the way young people speak" but that's no excuse. Just because they DO speak like that it doesn't mean they SHOULD. Think of the outrage if someone said "n*gger" or something similar. What's the point of giving young people citizenship classes to teach them how to treat people with respect, and then showing this garbage? The irony is, Channel 4 has an editorial manager for disabililty, and a database for disabled people who want to work on TV, so what's going on? Watch this space... Anyway, if you did see it, please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Search the web and raise money for your favourite charity with Everyclick.com
Everyclick is a great new search engine. It works just like other major search engines but it also generates cash for the charity of your choice. Everyclick has already raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for a wide range of charities.
Help me change the world one search at a time.
http://www.everyclick.com/helenbryant